SUMMER IN CANNES 2019 Off for a hair-raising summer
"It’s started! The season gets off to a flying start with originality and creativity. In a museum or in the open air, in local neighbourhoods, on the Palais des Festivals et des Congrès terrace or on the beach, hold on for a hair-raising summer. Destination: Cannes of course!" David LISNARD, Mayor of Cannes.
BAL DES FOUS is above all a concept: "a party for everyone", one of the great successes of last summer with 25,000 people over the 8 evenings. Lovers of festive atmosphere and a love of life, will find it on the Palais des Festivals terrace with 8 dates (7, 14, 21, 28 July, 4, 18, 25 August and 1 September) planned for a really off-the-wall experience in a magical setting where anything is possible.
Two pop / rock headliners are scheduled to perform on the Palais des Festivals terrace:
- Jain, an event concert from the musical revelation of the last three years (12 July). She presents her second album "Soldier" with catchy sounds mixing pop, hip-hop and reggae overtones.
- Franz Ferdinand for all British rock fans (22 August). The return of the famous Scottish band with their fifth album "Always Ascending" brimming with experimental sounds!
A Festival, Les Plages Electroniques. The 14th edition from 9 to 11 August promises great emotions and surprises: 3 days of celebration, a 40,000 m² dance floor, 4 stages, over 50 artistes! New this year: an additional after party on Sunday night!! The After Parties will take place in the Palais des Festivals rotunda until 5 a.m. and will be able to welcome up to 3,000 indoor festival-goers. A real festival village on the forecourt of the Palais, more than 40,000 festival-goers expected! People from all over the world dancing to the sounds of DJ Snake, Solomun, Tchami x Malaa, Meute, Vladimir Cauchemar... and a guest, Orelsan.
The 1000 choristers will pay tribute to Charles Aznavour with Jenifer and Michael Gregorio on 9 and 10 August on stage this year at the Palais des Victoires in La Bocca. A wonderful repertoire and two great guests for this great show back in Cannes for the third time.
FESTIVAL D’ART PYROTECHNIQUE - The biggest European fireworks festival will for the first time this year welcome 6 new artificers. They will represent Germany, Italy, Austria, France as well as two countries, the United States and Sweden, in competition for the first time. An exceptional lighting plan with 5 barges from which to release the fireworks and six evenings (14, 21 and 29 July, 7, 15 and 24 August) during which the Bay of Cannes will ignite a thousand fires for an ever bigger audience: over 700,000 spectators in 2018.
- Responding to the tastes and expectations of Cannes’ residents and visitors, the City of Cannes offers 6 varied and attractive events. Two men and three women mark summer 2019’s exhibitions.
- The 5th edition of Musée Ephémère du Cinéma takes the public right to the heart of the ruthless world of the great director Sergio Leone at the Palais des Festivals et des Congrès. From 11 July to 25 August, the exhibition "Il était une fois Sergio Leone" traces the career of the talented avant-garde Italian filmmaker. Also scheduled: a photo exhibition showing the highlights of the Cannes Film Festival (Gilles Traverso), video workshops, and an exceptional concert with the Orchestre de Cannes with the film music "Il était une fois… la musique de Films" on 31 July at Théâtre Debussy.
- At the Musée de la Mer, from 16 June to 27 October, an exhibition on the Man in the Iron Mask reveals secrets about his life and his eleven years of imprisonment on Île Sainte-Marguerite.
- Fancy some contemporary art? At the Centre d’Art la Malmaison and Villa Domergue, between 6 July and 3 November, the works of a free and inspiring woman - Niki de Saint-Phalle - take up residence; and Le Suquet des Artistes welcomes Nazanin Pouyandeh, a leading painter on the current scene, from 14 June to 3 November.
- In the enclosure of the old chateau in Cannes, in the Musée de la Castre, the photographer Wylda Bayrón shares the highlights of her epic journey in New Guinea.
- From 5 April to 31 August, the city's walls will be covered with portraits of stars for the event “Cannes fait le mur”. A nod to the CANNESERIES festival season 2, a giant photo exhibition on the theme "Stars en Liberté" is offered throughout the city in partnership with Paris Match (18 portraits).
DANCE - Gala d’Étoiles Internationales - Viva Maïa, an exceptional gala in tribute to the great Maïa Plissetskaïa on 29 June at the Palais des Festivals, bringing together fifteen stars from the top international stages.
- Les Nuits Musicales du Suquet offer a new classical music program enriched by the personalities of the performers and talent from every generation. There are four dates in July (18, 19, 22 and 23), 7 concerts orchestrated on two intimate and magical stages. On the bill with Misha Katz, Artistic Director of this new edition: Jean-Philippe Collard, Dimitri Naïditch, Alexander & Daniel Gurfinkel, Richard Galliano…. Orchestre de Cannes and Orchestre de Toulon.
- Jazz à Domergue, jazz lovers should make a date for four evenings in August (2, 3, 5 and 6) in the gardens of the amazing Villa Domergue. Opening the festival, a great jazz name: Erik Truffaz Quartet along with Marion Rampal, Anne Paceo, and Roberto Negro.
FESTIVAL DE L’ART RUSSE - From 23 to 27 August, at the Palais des Festivals and for its 22nd edition the Festival offers a glimpse of the richness in this multi-layered culture. This year, the Festival will pay homage to Rudolf Nureyev with LA BAYADERE, celebrate 100 years of the Guerassimov national institute of cinematography while remaining faithful to the great traditional ballets with the Ingushetia ballet company opening the Festival and not forgetting the Nuit Russe on 24 August and the Russian cinema day. As an introduction to the Festival de l’Art Russe from 19 to 23 August the Festival du Jeune Art Russe offers a glimpse into the future of the Franco-Russian artistic scene with young Conservatoire talents with music and theatre from Cannes and Russia.
FREE EVENTS ALL OVER THE CITY
- Live concerts in Cannes La Bocca: Liane Foly as part of the Tournée de Nice-Matin (7 July); Tribute Woodstock Spirit (30 July); ABBA STARS (6 August); and a flower parade on the theme of Tribute (18 August).
- As part of the patron saint festivities held for Saint-Cassien (19 July) and Saint-Sauveur (3 August), two concerts are being held, including one by a group of four operatic voices that now have six platinum discs and one gold, the Stentors (800,000 albums sold).
- Ten screenings of recent and mainstream films, it's Ciné-quartier!
- Dancing is for all ages! The dancing squares (10, 24 July, 14 and 28 August) and the balls (14 July, 24 August) will enliven sweet summer evenings in Cannes, with the family, as a couple, or with friends!
By the sea, going from one stage to another, contemplating a thousand lights sparkling in the sky above the bay, dancing on a terrace overlooking the sea, being bewitched on a hill in an enchanting setting, and being surprised every day and every night of the summer – it’s all in Cannes on the Côte d’Azur in France!