NOTICE OF PRELIMINARY SELECTION PROCEDURE
ARTICLE L.2122-1-1 DU CODE GENERAL DE LA PROPRIETE DES PERSONNES PUBLIQUES
Organisme émetteur de l’avis de publicité : Société d’Economie Mixte pour les Evénements Cannois (S.E.M.E.C.) – La Croisette – CS 30051 – 06414 Cannes Cedex – France – Tél. 04.93.39.01.01 Fax : 04.93.99.37.34 – Internet address : www.palaisdesfestivals.com
Type of procedure : Pre-selection procedure organized in accordance with the provisions of article L.2122-1-1 of the Code général de la propriété des personnes publiques, to enable potential candidates to express their interest in temporary occupation of the public domain with a view to economic exploitation.
Object : The S.E.M.E.C., which manages and operates le Palais des Festivals et Congrès de Cannes under a public service delegation contract with the City of Cannes, is tasked with promoting the destination, hosting events to generate economic spin-offs in the City and enlivening the destination with festive, artistic and trade show programming.
In accordance with the Code Général de la Propriété des Personnes Publiques, it is hereby brought to the attention of third parties that SEMEC wishes to operate the terrasse of the Espace Riviera at le Palais des Festivals et des Congrès de Cannes, a dependency of the public domain of the City of Cannes, the management of which falls under the delegation of public service (DSP), to host le Bal des Fous event organized in 2018, 2019 and 2022.
Le Bal des Fous has ensured successful attendance since its creation with a high-quality program of events and music. This type of event responds to a need expressed by Cannes tourism players to enhance the appeal of the city of Cannes by operating a club bar discotheque at a less busy time of the weekend, on Sunday afternoons and evenings.
This temporary operation will be carried out under a temporary public domain occupation agreement over thirteen (13) dates. These are the following dates.
- Assembly period: July 03 to 08, 2023
- July 9, 16, 23 and 30, 2023
- August 13, 20 and 27, 2023
- Dismantling period: August 28 to 30, 203
- And planned for 2024
July 14, 21 and 28, 2024 subject to change
August 11, 18 and 25, 2024 subject to change.
- Article L.2122-1-1 du Code Général de la Propriété́ des personnes publiques imposes for any economic exploitation of the public domain, a “prior selection procedure presenting all guarantees of impartialitý and transparency, and including advertising measureś allowing potential candidates to express themselves”
- This article specifies that “When the authorized occupation or use is of short duration or when the number of authorizations available for the exercise of the planned economic activity is not limited, the competent authority is only required to advertise prior to issuing the title, in such a way as to enable relevant interest to be expressed and to inform potential applicants of the general conditions of award.
It should be noted that article L.2122-1-1 of the aforementioned Code Général de la propriété des personnes publiques codifies Ordinance no. 2017-562 of April 19, 2017 on the ownershiṕ of public persons.
The authorization to occupy the public domain will be formalized by a temporary occupation agreement on the 13 dates for Summer 2023 and 2024. The occupation of the public domain dependency will give rise to the payment of a fee in accordance with the provisions of article L. 2125-1 of the Code Général de la Propriété́ des personnes publiques.
The commercial lease regime is excluded.
The present notice is intended to gather any expressions of interest. It specifies the criteria for selecting candidates and the terms and conditions for occupying and using the public domain dependency.
Description of the artistic concept and the activity carried out.
The BAL DES FOUS is an artistic concept for organizing dancing and festive events on Sunday afternoons and evenings from 4pm to 12:30am during the summer season.
Entrance is filtered but free (excluding fast passes) and which offers different experiences, for the crowd a vast dancefloor is set up with a bar all along and 2 revolving tracks (7m and 7m50), for table bookings 3 spaces that can accommodate around 1500 people in all.
The facilities required for operation include:
- A gated entrance with 3 different entrances (main entrance, fast pass, reservations), an exit, a cloakroom and a checkout center.
- A 9m-high hyperstructure covered with a velum or canopy allowing, in addition to shading, the hanging of sets and lights.
- A bar of around 40 linear meters and corresponding back-bars
- 1 office bar (also housing the vip office) and an office for the carré Croisette
- 2 raised podiums of different levels (50, 68 and 85 cm) and around 350 m2 for the “Croisette” space and 150 m2 for the “Lérins”. A stage accommodates the VIP area as well as the DJs and lighting.
- Furnishings include 80 modules for wide, arched banquettes, 40 modules for wide, straight banquettes and 300 chauffeuse-type seats, all in M18 classification. 15 white round coffee tables and 300 white square coffee tables complete the furnishings.
Le Bal des Fous brand is a trademark registered by Partner’s bar
It is specified that in consultation with the operator, the artistic direction of the event will be entrusted to Partner’s bar by the occupier and operator of the discotheque space.
Description of the location:
To host this event, SEMEC wishes to make the following spaces available:
The terrasse located on the “Riviera” roof of le Palais des Festivals de Cannes, a space belonging to the maritime public domain. This 1500 m² terrasse enjoys a superb view over the Bay of Cannes and la Croisette.
Will be made available by SEMEC, as mandatory services invoiced by application of the 2023 tariff schedule in force, then at 2024 rates:
- Exclusive storage space for drinks and food, consumables (Lérins office 232 sq.m.),
- Offices for the operator’s staff (Lérins rotunda 150 sq.m.),
- Interior toilets in the Lérins Rotunda, and on the Riviera space on the ground floor
- And a stage structure, shared with other shows at le Palais. (See plans in appendix 2)
Public spaces will have to be partially vacated for events scheduled by SEMEC according to the attached occupancy schedule (appendix 1)
Access will be via a wide outside staircase, located on the right-hand side of le Palais des Festivals forecourt, according to the plan attached in appendix 2. The City of Cannes is undertaking renovation work on la Croisette starting in 2024, which may result in changes to access to the terrasse for the summer of 2024. Regular information will be issued to the operator.
Access to the premises will be limited to people of legal age and will be secured by the occupier.
Operating hours for the club bar discotheque on the scheduled dates: from 4pm to 12:30am
The site will be able to accommodate a maximum of 4,500 people including staff.
Royalty and expenses payable by the occupant:
In return for occupying a public domain dependency, the occupant undertakes to pay a royalty of 20,000 euros excluding tax per date, i.e. 140,000 euros excluding tax for the year 2023, for the seven dates referred to in article 1.
Payment of this fee is to be made on the following dates:
- Payment of a 20% deposit on signature of the agreement
- Payment of a 50% deposit on July 1, 2023
- Payment of the balance on August 28, 2023.
SEMEC will provide the following services: stage management, cleaning (excluding Bal des Fous furniture), electricity and water supply, heavy current on-call duty, provision of barriers, fire safety, provision of security gantries, under-stage shoring and video surveillance. The operator is asked to make a proposal for a financial contribution to these costs, estimated at €10,000 excluding VAT per date, i.e. €70,000 excluding VAT for the 7 dates scheduled over 2023.
Beverage purchases, access security, reception, logistics, commissary, bar and table service, cash collection, technical equipment (sound, scenic lighting) and terrasse decoration, furniture and seating (as listed in the description of the artistic concept) will be managed directly by the operator with the suppliers of its choice and according to the recommendations of the Artistic Direction.
The operator must hold a licence IV for the sale of drinks, and professional civil liability insurance for bars and discotheques.
Selection procedure and criteria
SEMEC will check the applicant’s suitability to organize the event against the following documents, production of which is required:
- Presentation of the candidate and its structure (legal form, its corporate name and contact details, the names of the manager(s), the legal representative(s), the person(s) with authoritý to bind the candidate);
- A Kbis extract less than 3 months old;
- A presentation of activities already carried out;
- Current insurance certificates, in particular a certificate of professional civil liability for bars and discotheques
- A license IV for the sale of drinks;
- A description of financial capacitý: indication of overall sales and sales concerning activities related to the sector in question, over the last three years;
- Copy of the judgement(s) pronounced, if the candidate is in receivership.
For the presentation of the offer, the following documents are required:
- A general presentation of the projected activity (operation) and the artistic concept that the candidate will have worked on with the Artistic Direction, proposed decor and fittings on the terrasse.
- Any other document that the applicant may deem useful to provide a clear understanding of its service offer and to put the planned event into perspective.
It is specified that incomplete applications will not be examined by SEMEC. The SEMEC reserves the right to reject at any time the dossiers of candidates whose financial, economic and professional capacities appear to be insufficient to execute the public domain occupation agreement.
Bids will be judged according to the following hierarchical criteria:
- The quality of the proposed operation in terms of the Bal des fous musical concept and programming.
- Originality: relevance and appropriateness of the project to the ambitions of the City of Cannes concerning the enhancement of the occupied site and the proposed event.
- The candidate’s professional experience and references.